Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hex Hall

5287473Book Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Number of Pages: 323
Genres: Magic, Witchcraft, YA Fantasy, Romance
Books like it: Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
My favorite quote: “I heard the man and woman cry a warning as I frantically racked my brain for some sort of throat-repairing spell, which I was clearly about to need. Of course the only words that I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, 'BAD DOG!'

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a flash of blue light on my left. Suddenly, the werewolf seemed to smack into an invisible wall just inches in front of me....

"You know," someone said off to my left, "I usually find a blocking spell to be a lot more effective than yelling 'Bad dog,' but maybe that's just me.”  

Brief Synopsis from Goodreads:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


My Summary:
Sophie Mercer is like Cammie Morgan, Hermione Granger and Jace Wayland rolled into a blender. She's a super not-so-cool girl that has a talent for a big mouth and sarcastic comebacks. Oh, and she's a witch. Yes, witch. Like, spells of doom and darkness and.... okay, not so much. Sophie is a newbie to all of this, and because her dad is head of the Council, none of the students and teachers like her much.
Jenna shook her head. "Let's just say you may regret that second piece of cake."
Oh my gosh. Regret cake? Whatever was about to happen must be truly evil.

In the first day alone, she becomes best friends with the only vampire in the school, Jenna, develops a crush for the school hottie, and manages to become enemies with his cute girlfriend, Elodie. It seems like this school might actually work out for her after all. Well, not so much.
Soon deaths start happening all over school, and all evidence points to Jenna. As the Council takes her friend away for questioning, Sophie must find out who the real killer is, and fast. The killer has been picking all the dark witches in the school, and Sophie is the next target.

"Sophia Mercer," Elodie intoned, "we have come to induct you into our sisterhood. Say the five words to begin the ritual."
I blinked at her. "Are you freaking kidding me?"
Anna gave an exasperated sigh. "No, the five words are 'I accept your offer, sisters.'"

I loved this book! After all the sci-fi I have been reading lately, it was nice to just settle down and read a magical fantasy book. I haven't read a good witches and wizards book since Harry Potter, and it was kind of refreshing. I never saw the end coming, and neither will you. And that's always a good quality to have in a book.

Pros: Cute cover, awesome characters, and one heck of a story.
Cons: NA
Cautions for Parents: A few a** and OMG and even a d*** or two. Overall, pretty clean. I would say twelve year olds can read this.
Review: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...